Labour divisions show as one front bencher and five aides resign from shadow cabinet

Jeremy Corbyn has suffered his biggest backbench revolt since he became leader as Labour’s divisions on Europe broke out into the open once more. In an extraordinary breakdown of party discipline, more than half of his backbenchers defied the party whip.

In a vote on a Lords amendment that would effectively mean staying in the European Economic Area, 75 backbenchers defied party instructions to abstain and voted for the EEA. A further 15, also defying the party whip, voted against.

Related: EU withdrawal bill: which Labour MPs rebelled over the EEA amendment?

I will not vote for any amendment to Brexit legislation that does not deliver the exit from the European Union that my constituents voted for.

This evening, I have resigned as Shadow Defence PPS to vote in favour of the Lords EEA amendment. I have always said as an MP I will put the interests of my constituents first and I believe that means voting to maintain the closest possible relationship with the EU after Brexit. pic.twitter.com/biMsQbSkPT

We need to address working class discontent but we do​​ not take the first step to doing that by making the country poor

Continue reading...

from Top stories | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2sVasyc

Post a Comment Blogger

 
Top